Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Artemisia Gentileschi


Judith Slaying Holofernes


Susanna


Self-Portrait

Gentileschi is a total inspiration to all artists. She was one of the best remembered female artists from back then. I also love when artists aren't afraid to show gore. I was amazed when I first saw "Judith Slaying Holofernes." I was even more amazed when I found out that the artist was a woman. Not in a offensive way. I was just amazed to see a painting like this, from that time period, done by a woman. Mainly, because they did not have movies back then, this means that Gentileschi most likely saw someone's throat slit and incorporated it into the story of Holofernes. I also like the way she made the expression on Judith's face. Its like no emotion while shes just tearing this guy up. And the painting is like 6'x6', so its huge! Her work is just very impressive.

No comments:

Post a Comment